gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Is it possible to write GPL-Modules for closed-source Software?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Is it possible to write GPL-Modules for closed-source Software?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:30:50 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> Uh, you forgot that he liked the GPL and its provisions.

Then he should GPL his sister and mom. And then http://www.fsf.org/donate.

[...]
> A chance that the legal departments of Microsoft, IBM and a few other
> large players with deep pockets have happily passed on, and a
> three-digit number of parties addressed by the GPL-violations project
> alone did, too.

Oh dear. Copyright misuse is a defense. When was the last time the FSF
was in court of law and the court granted a favorable judgment regarding
any of RMS+Moglen's numerous moronic fantasies (not a contract, linking
is relevant, and whatnot)?

As for GPL-violations project...

The GPL-defender Welte was (finally) laughed out of court?

The regular one (Hauptverfahren), not his usual idiotic ex parte
(Einstweilige Verfuegung) actions (and "appeals" thereof) he is so fond
of ("suing" wrong defendants and obtaining pointless preliminary
"injunctions" against entities not involving in any distribution at all).

Inquiring Minds Want to Know.

http://gnumonks.org/~laforge/weblog/

----
Tue, 25 Jul 2006
Travelling to a gpl-violations.org related court hearing tomorrow

Tomorrow morning I'll have the pleasure of travelling to Frankfurt,
where the first court hearing in a particular gpl-violations.org case
will happen.

Those of you who follow my actions closely (closer than the practically
non-existing PR work of gpl-violations.org allows) will notice that this
is actually the first 'regular court case'. So far we settled everything
either out-of-court, or sooner or later after a preliminary injunction,
or an appeals case thereof.

In this particular case the defendant claims that the GPL is not
applicable to them for a number of reasons, but at the same time argues
that he still has the right to use the software, despite not having
obtained any kind of license.

I don't yet wan to disclose the identity of the defendant yet, but I'll
certainly post some more information on this pretty soon. You will all
know the company, though. A very popular vendor of embedded networking
gear.
-----

No follow-up yet. So stay tuned.

regards,