gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 23:10:28 +0200 (CEST)

   >    The Hurd is not even of much interest to RMS himself anymore.
   >
   > Richard has never been involved directly with the Hurd.  It is
   > like saying that GNU wget is not of much interest to RMS, simply
   > because he isn't involved in the project.

   Not involved in the project?  He dismissed its maintainer from his
   duties in 2003 (IIRC).

>From offical dutites, yes, because Thomas went against the policies of
the GNU project (outright refusing to use the GFDL in a GNU project
and stuff like that), he would do the same for any other project.

   > Maybe, maybe not.  But the Hurd (and GNU Mach) is the kernel of
   > the GNU system, to which we are working towards.

   But without any priority on Hurd.  Most online docs of Hurd on the
   GNU websites are utterly out of date, even though not that much has
   happened.

The priority is freedom, since it is being entrenched all the time in
various ways (DRM, Flash, Java, ...).  So many projects do not have a
super high priority.  People work on what they want to work on.  We
are all voluenteers.