gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Creative Commons GPL - The same as the regular GPL?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Creative Commons GPL - The same as the regular GPL?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:53:55 +0200 (CEST)

   I've noticed that on the Creative Commons website, there's an
   option for licensing your work under a "CC-GNU GPL."  It says that
   it adds Creative Commons metadata to the license and the Commons
   deed.

   My question is, what's the real difference?  And is the CC-GNU GPL
   sanctioned by the Free Software Foundation?

I think this is a question that should be asked to the Creative
Commons folks.  If they do modify the GNU GPL in anyway (one is not
allowed to change the GNU GPL), then this should be reported to the
FSF.

I doubt the FSF would sanction any license that is promoted by the
Creative Commons, many of these licenses are not free in any sense of
the word (the Non-Commercial clause for example).