gnu-misc-discuss

Re: GPL traitor !

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 17:25:31 -0400

Joerg Schilling wrote:
US copyright law

A lot of unimportant remarks. Most of the OSS Code is from Europe and most OSS users are in Europe. Arguing with US Copyright _only_ gives a bad taste.

I live in the US, so that is the law I follow. You are welcome
to quote the laws of your own country if you believe there are
relevant differences. You are welcome to ignore discussions of
US copyright law if you find them uninteresting.

If you read the GPL, you will find out that the GPL gives the permission
to use the software.....the needed way.

I have and it does not.

If you create a work that _contains_ GPL code, you need to put the whole under GPL. If you however link a GPL project against any library that was independently developed, this library does not need to be under GPL as the GPL
is _intentionally_ open for this case.

This is false; if you link statically with a GPLed library, the work
as a whole must be distributed under the GPL. If you link dynamically
with a GPLed library, you do not need to distribute the work as a whole
under the GPL, but not because of what the GPL contains, rather because
the work as a whole does not contain GPLed code and so the GPL is not
relevant.