gnu-misc-discuss

Re: US court says software is owned, not licensed

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: US court says software is owned, not licensed
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:44:38 +0200

Nigel Feltham wrote:
[...]
> The only permission you have to make any extra copies of busybox is that
> provided by the GPL in exchange for following it's rules which specify that
> source has to be provided.

But that's pure license/contract breach claim, not copyright
infringement. Consider also

http://www.citizen.org/litigation/forms/cases/CaseDetails.cfm?cID=437

"Public Citizen represents an eBay vendor in a case against Autodesk, a
California-based software company. ... Although Autodesk claims that its
shrink-wrap license prohibits resale of its products, Public Citizen
argues that the contract language is unlawful under the Copyright Act,
which guarantees that the owner of a copyrighted product can resell that
product without permission. "

Well, Public Citizen won! ;-)

Oh, BTW,

"Because Public Citizen does not accept funds from corporations,
professional associations or government agencies, we can remain
independent and follow the truth wherever it may lead. But that means we
depend on the generosity of concerned citizens like you for the
resources to fight on behalf of the public interest. If you would like
to help us in our fight, click here. "

http://www.citizen.org/join/

regards,
alexander.