gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:02:26 -0000

In gnu.misc.discuss RJack <user@example.net> wrote:
> On 9/25/2010 8:19 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

>> However, non-"literary" documents "directing the gassing..." like
>> letters of command would not have copyrightable creative content,
>> anyway.

> I've always been intrigued concerning relative moral judgments DAK.
> Like, what makes one country more civilized than another? You claim that
> a country (and by definition its citizens) that passes a restrictive,
> "Disney-controlled", copyright law makes that country uncivilized:

In that respect, the said country is controlled less by its citizens as a
body, and more by powerful individuals.  Since "civilised" derives from
the Latin word for citizen, the connection should be clear, even if it's
not very strong.

> I suspect that a country that attempts to commit genocide might also be
> a candidate for the label "uncivilized".

Countries don't commit genocide.  Organised people do.  I'm trying to
think of a country where a genocide has never been attempted.  It's a bit
difficult.  Certainly none of the countries we collectively hale from
would qualify.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).