gnu-misc-discuss

Re: What free software based online backup service would you recommend?

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: What free software based online backup service would you recommend? Are there any?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:42:33 +0700

 >> So what do you recommend guys, are you using something like this,
 >> how do you organize your backup?  I know there are not too many
 >> possibilities here if we are looking for free software solution, but
 >> if so it's even more important to know what are the viable options.

 > I backup stuff to USB sticks; much safer than some online system.

        Arguably, SATA hard drives (perhaps of some cheaper variety, as
        in "Green") may constitute a better solution, especially if
        there's much more than a dozen of GiB's to copy.

        Once the data is copied, a SATA drive (even if an internal one)
        could be detached from the host and moved to safety.

        Alternatively, if there's more than one location to manage (with
        the possibility of a secure network file transfer), the data
        from the location A may be backed up at B and vice versa, etc.

        OTOH, for a few GiB's, I'd use DVD+R's.  Should be safer against
        electromagnetic impulses (not to mention humidity, etc.), too,
        if one happens to be a survivalist.

--
FSF associate member #7257      http://sf-day.org/