gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Endorsing the GNU Social Contract

From: Nathan Sidwell
Subject: Re: Endorsing the GNU Social Contract
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 17:33:59 +0100

On 2/14/20 8:45 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

Thanks for your support. GCC has an FSF appointed steering committee
<https://gcc.gnu.org/steering.html> which is what we would
traditionally call the official GNU maintainers for a GNU package.
But given that GCC is so big they delegate responsibility to
maintainers for larger subsystems/packages, of which you are one.
I have created a special section on
<https://wiki.gnu.tools/gnu:social-contract-endorsement> to list
GNU community members like yourself who have endorsed the GNU
Social Contract.

Further, RMS is a member of the GCC steering committee, and I believe has veto power (possibly only over non-technical decisions). So the likelihood of that /committee/ endorsing the Social Contract is low.

I do not know if other GNU projects have a similar oversight structure.

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell