gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Harrassment on this list

From: DJ Delorie
Subject: Re: Harrassment on this list
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 21:26:17 -0500

Alexandre François Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> writes:
> Yet expressing it directly, without filter, it has already been
> said, is unkind.

I agree, and I think this is a key point to understand.  The FSF has
stated that it will accept work from anyone regardless of what they
BELIEVE.  Kindness is about what people SAY.  I don't think there's a
conflict there.

You can believe in something and choose not to talk about it if you know
the audience would react poorly to what you say or how you say it, that
is kindness.  Choosing to say something that would hurt someone else is
unkind, even if you belive it is true.  It's not about what you believe,
it's about how you choose to talk about that belief.  Communication
happens best when both sides choose carefully how they communicate.

I have never heard the FSF say "we'll accept patches from anyone, no
matter how they behave on our mailing lists".