gnuae

[Gnuae] GnuAE update

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnuae] GnuAE update
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:05:53 -0700

Somedays I hate it how APIs and tools change drastically... I had started on a port of GnuAE's GUI from GTK1 to GTK2 (and the newer GNOME), only to discover what a pain in the neck this is going to be... I want to upgrade, because the gtkextras package now finally has the GTK Plotting stuff added. I'm tired of maintaining my own patches to make this work under GTK1. I thought using Glade would help, but the Glade2 xml files aren't compatible with the Glade1 ones! The convert script blew up on me, so I was looking at a long and slow recoding from scratch. Which is partly done...

So anyway, I've been adding support to GnuAE so all the libraries work as a PHP plugin. So I'm now recoding the GUIs in PHP. :-) I realized that most of my GUI was laid out like a web page anyway, with lots of input forms.

I figure this way it'll save installation issues for most people, and make it usable to anyone with a browser. Then I can work on the GTK2 port whenever, or maybe somebody will code a better one. GUI design is not my strong suit.... and all the real functionality is in the GnuAE SDK libraries anyway.

The last few months there hasn't been much going on with GnuAE while I worked on the companion program, PowerGuru. (http://www.gnu.org/software/powerguru/) PowerGuru is a data logging and remote control program for Xantrex and Outback products. Now that PowerGuru is released, I'm back to hacking on GnuAE for a bit.

        - rob -