gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #13778] For v0.1: Script to prepare the raw VC so

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #13778] For v0.1: Script to prepare the raw VC source
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 10:10:54 +0000

Update of task #13778 (project gnuastro):

        Percent Complete:                     90% => 100%

Follow-up Comment #7:

Thanks to your great work in your bootstrap branch, I implemented in Gnuastro
and it is now possible to prepare the version controlled source for
./configure with the single command below (after cloning Gnulib and
Autoconf-archives):

./bootstrap --copy --gnulib-srcdir=$DEVDIR/gnulib

The full "Version controlled source" of the book was also re-written and a
section ("Bootstrapping") was added to thoroughly explain the process:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Bootstrapping.html

I just had a comment: there were no comments in your bootstrap.conf file, so
to understand everything (and implement and run it) I had to spend a lot of
time (maybe as much as you did) trying to understand what these variables are
and why you defined them like this.

In the current bootstrap.conf file, the variables and functions that we have
added to the Gnulib bootstrap.conf are clearly sparated from from the ones we
changed the value of and the ones we didnot change. Also, the reasoning behind
the variables and their values is explained.

Since this file will not be updated a lot, even we will forget the details in
a few months and have to invest a lot of time again to change something or
make an update. Also Gnulib distributes a the bootstrap.conf file also, so it
was important to clearly separte our additions/changes from the default ones
to be able to easily update our bootstrap.conf if the default one changes.
Besides these, in Gnuastro we want to encourage scientists (not necessary
trained in these steps) to hack into it. So it is very important to heavily
comment everything. If you feel anything is lacking in the current version
(and its comments), please feel free to add to them.

Thanks again for the great suggestion and work, Mosè.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?13778>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/