gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #14330] Program authors (in --version output) set

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #14330] Program authors (in --version output) set automatically
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 16:30:04 +0000 (UTC)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

As part of the major re-write of the input-outputs of the programs, the old
`cite.h' header is now called `authors-cite.h
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/gnuastro/blob/datastruct/bin/arithmetic/authors-cite.h>'.

I would like to suggest generating the list of authors in a program
automatically from the Git history. Manually adding the names of people who
have contributed to the program is not easily possible. We can use a script
like the the one used to generate the authors list that goes into the second
page PDF manual. It just has to be limited to the files in the `bin/progname/'
and `bin/library' directories. The `authors-cite.h' can be changed to
`authors-cite.h.in' and during `make' it can be used to make `authors-cite.h'
for the program to read, similar to what we do with `lib/config.h.in'.

Since the programs are moving more and more of their work-load to the
librarires, I think it is fair to include anyone who has also commited code to
the libraries to also be included as an author in all the programs source
files. We can either mix them or keep them separate, for example:
"(ProgramName): XXXX XXX, YYYY YYYY. (Libraries): ZZZZ ZZZZ, AAA AAAA".

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14330>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/