gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #14340] Defining arbitrary variable and its value

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #14340] Defining arbitrary variable and its value in FITS headers
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 17:10:20 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #4, task #14340 (project gnuastro):

Thank you very much Boud and Lee for the great comments, I personally
subscribed to the fitsbits mailing list and will post issues I have with the
standard there. Until now, I have tried really hard to do everything with the
existing conventions and make as little change as possible. Fortunately Lee's
suggestion was the solution :-).

I had forgot about the HIERARCH convention! Thanks Lee for bringing it up.
Infact after thinking a little more, I noticed that as part of task #14245
(Root data structure), the new `gal_data_string_to_type' (currently last
function in lib/data.c
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/gnuastro/blob/datastruct/lib/data.c>) function
has been defined to read a string number into the proper data-type. So we can
use it after calling CFITSIO to read the value into the proper type. The name
and units of the variable can also be added to the `gal_data_t' representing
the variable.

So if there is no better suggestion, we will use the HIERARCH convention. I
currently don't have the time to implement it, so I will keep this task as
open. In the meantime, if you have the chance to implement it, post a comment
here and I would be happy to help navigating the new `gal_data_t' and all its
great new features. Also, if possibly better solutions come to you, please
don't hesitate to share them here.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14340>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/