gnuastro-devel

[task #15730] Installed scripts with Makefiles for parallel operations

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15730] Installed scripts with Makefiles for parallel operations
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 11:37:45 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

We have recently started installing executables with Gnuastro's programs that
are actually scripts (described in the Installed scripts
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Installed-scripts.html>
section of the manual.

But we don't have to limit it to shell scripts. In many scenarios Makefiles
are more efficient (because they allow multi-threaded operations). I have
already started publishing some small Makefiles for common operations in this
small Git repository: https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/useful-scripts

But defining a new class of installed components is just confusing. And
generally, things like Managing options aren't too easy with Makefiles. So we
can do this: add 'astscript-*' scripts that will call installed Makefiles (in
the prefix/share directory). We can then do things like option management and
help and etc in the script and call the installed Makefile for the main
operation.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15730>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/