gnuastro-devel

[task #15843] Query should optionally preserve the raw downloaded file

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15843] Query should optionally preserve the raw downloaded file
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 20:51:39 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Currently, Query's raw downloaded table is not directly returned to the user.
Query internally opens the downloaded table immediately after downloading, and
writes it into the user's desired output file and deletes the raw downloaded
file.

This is convenient for the user in several aspects (for example it fixes bug
#59469), and later when various table formats are included, it can be used to
write the final table in any format they want, possibly in formats that aren't
supported by the database.

However, the raw downloaded file can possibly have important metadata that the
user may need (for example the version of the database version and etc).

So we should add an option to Query to allow the users to keep the raw
downloaded file if they want. Optionally, we can also identify standard
keywords by each database and write them in the output, but this can be more
tricky (because we'll have to follow any changes in the databases).

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15843>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/