gnuastro-devel

[bug #60618] Fixed directory string being removed on pressing TAB

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #60618] Fixed directory string being removed on pressing TAB
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 21:25:08 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: pedram
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

When there are multiple matching files in a sub-directory, the default
behavior of Bash's TAB completion is to only print the matching file names
(not directories) to help the user visually identify the character to type.

However, in the current implementation of Gnuastro's TAB completion, this
doesn't happen! In the scenario below (assuming you have an 'image.fits' in an
empty directory), the fixed directory name 'subdir' will be deleted upon
pressing TAB:

$ ls
image.fits
$ mkdir subdir
$ mv image.fits subdir/ab-123.fits
$ cp subdir/ab-123.fits subdir/ab-456.fits
$ astcrop subdir/ab-[TAB]

Therefore, as a fast temporary work-around I have adopted an ugly (bug
working!) solution in Commit c091578e2
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/commit/?id=c091578e2>.

Pedram, can you have a look into this? I don't have time right now, and this
is an important issue.

Its also a good chance to get familiar with the new TAB completion structure
;-).

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?60618>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/