gnuastro-devel

[bug #62127] Gnuastro interpolation library does not recognize the Steff

From: Pedram Ashofteh Ardakani
Subject: [bug #62127] Gnuastro interpolation library does not recognize the Steffen method
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 16:53:43 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: pedram
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

== description ==

Simply put, executing the interpolation example in the Gnuastro manual would
throw the following error:

> gal_interpolate_1d_make_gsl_spline: Steffen interpolation isn't available in
the system's GNU Scientific Library (GSL). Please install a more recent GSL
(version >= 2.0, released in October 2015) and rebuild Gnuastro

After a thorough investigation with Mohammad Akhlaghi, we found out that the
'interpolate.c' library could not recognize if the Steffen interpolation was
available correctly. The problem stemmed from lack of flags corresponding to
the Steffen function of the GSL library in the configuration and Makefiles.

So, we fixed this issue and updated the Gnuastro manual with the new
GAL_CONFIG_HAVE_GSL_INTERP_STEFFEN macro.

Additionally, we added further details on the interpolation example in the
Gnuastro manual.

You can find these changes in this branch
<https://codeberg.org/pedramardakani/gnuastro/src/branch/dev-steffen> before
it is merged into the master.

== Commit message ==

Installation: fix GSL Steffen interpolation bug

Until now, Gnuastro compiled the interpolation library based on the GSL
Steffen interpolation without a proper check flag in the configuration files.
This resulted in the following error message when one tried to use the
'gal_interpolate_1d_make_gsl_spline' function with the
'GAL_INTERPOLATE_1D_STEFFEN' option:

gal_interpolate_1d_make_gsl_spline: Steffen interpolation isn't
available in the system's GNU Scientific Library (GSL). Please install a more
recent GSL (version >= 2.0, released in October 2015) and rebuild Gnuastro

With this commit, we have defined the 'GAL_CONFIG_HAVE_GSL_INTERP_STEFFEN' and
'HAVE_GSL_STEFFEN' flags in the configuration and library Makefiles, to check
if the host machine can handle the Steffen interpolation from GSL.

Also, the interpolation example in the Gnuastro manual has been updated to
reflect changes on the 'gal_interpolate_1d_make_gsl_spline' arguments.
Additionally, a sample 'table.txt' file was added to the example, and the
build step using the 'astbuildprog' program was demonstrated too.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?62127>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/