gnuastro-devel

[sr #110636] asttable is very slow with many columns

From: anonymous
Subject: [sr #110636] asttable is very slow with many columns
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:38:31 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: teuben@gmail.com
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: GNU/Linux

Details:

I don't know if this is to be expected, but when I ran

     asttable --information junk.tab

with 10000 columns (and 10 rows), it's 0.25sec,but with 1e5 columns it took
99sec, and with 1e6 columns, it's still running after 17 mins so I'll kill
it.

Looking at memory consumption, it's very modest. RES=61M while the table has
10 lines and is 86M in size.

The background here is the re-design of the table system in NEMO, where we
have some comparison possible with the gnuastro tables

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?110636>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/