gnuastro-devel

[task #16263] Errors in the library: remove all exit() calls

From: Jash Shah
Subject: [task #16263] Errors in the library: remove all exit() calls
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 04:28:37 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #2, task #16263 (project gnuastro):

The structure of the error type seems great! Also, the ability to have the
errors accumulated will be very useful, especially in cases where multiple
errors from a function call stack need to be analysed.

Thinking from the user's perspective, the first implementation seems the best
approach, because of:

1. Not having to carry around an extra error structure with every `gal_data_t`
instance.

2. Having a uniform way of checking for errors across all modules. For users,
this becomes easy as they can form a singular habit of checking if the error
structure they passed returned an error or not. There can be one set rule of
error checking on the user side instead of having to check which rule out of
the two applies for their usecase.

3. The implementation and documentation will also be easier and we can have
reapplicable set and get methods for the same.

I can start trying out the implementation of the same for the FITS image read
and write functions.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?16263>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/