gnuastro-devel

[bug #65578] Numeric user ID too large when generating the tarball

From: Giacomo Lorenzetti
Subject: [bug #65578] Numeric user ID too large when generating the tarball
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:48:35 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #65578 (group gnuastro):

Apparently bsdtar -o (and we use -chof...) is the same as
'--old-archive', i.e. '--format=ustar'. ustar is among those who
doesn't support ids grater than ~2M (see
https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_chapter/Formats.html).
We can force tar to use something more recent, such as pax, as showed in this
branch:
https://gitlab.cefca.es/glorenzetti/gnuastro/-/commit/7bfcdd9f91b971fb6234f0a6fc06aef69811df17

Is this a desired change? Apparently not, GNU suggests to keep the old one,
due to compatibilty issues:
https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/1.10/html_node/Options.html#index-Option_002c-tar_002dv7

On the other hand, the values of 'id -u' and 'id -g' on your computer appear
too big, that I'm unable to replicate on a personal macOS (I obtain something
around ~500, instead of ~1 billion).
Perhaps is worth investigating why those IDs have those values, if it's due to
a initial configuration of the computer.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?65578>

Mensaje enviado vía Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/