gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap docs build failure on FC5 (and other places)

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap docs build failure on FC5 (and other places)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:56:57 +1000

Stuart Brorson wrote:
Al, group,

I am getting the next spin of the gEDA CD ready for release.  On FC5 I
have a problem:  If dvipdfm is installed, but Latex is not, I get this
error message:...

Latex is required to get a Tex DVI file.

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_mono/automake.html#Documentation

checking for latex... notfound
checking for main in -ltermcap... yes

(etc.)
--------------- <configure spew> --------------

Anyway, IMO we shouldn't require users to build .pdf files in their
distributions.  Pdfs should just come with the distribution.  IMO a
.pdf file is a "make dist" target, requiring the developer to have the
right tools installed, not the user.

If every package had pdf files already built, it would increase bandwidth
usage a large amount (eg, from Debian repositories).

The reason I am bleating like this is that I want to modify the gnucap
automake stuff so that the .pdfs are "make dist" targets, and the
distributions have .pdfs (any anything generated from Latex) already
built in.   That way I can circumvent all user config problems when
they try to build the gEDA Suite.

I am not an autoconf/automake expert, but will happily submit
patches acheiving this.  But I was wondering if any of the development
gurus out there had some example code which implemented this scheme?
I looked at PCB, which does this, but I was flummoxed by its
complexity.  Therefore, if somebody could point to a different
open-source program using the GNU automake stuff which cleanly ships
.pdfs in the distro tarball, I would very much appreciate it.
Alternately, if the PCB devlopers could explain enough of their scheme
so that I could copy it, I would like that too.  Any and all pointers
appreciated!