gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] verilog-a(ms) roadmap?

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] verilog-a(ms) roadmap?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:33:41 -0400

On Monday 14 May 2007, Dan McMahill wrote:
> Is there a plan to produce a verilog-a capable gnucap on the
> way to a full verilog-ams version?
yes.

> Or is verilog-a
> considered the stopping point?
no,

> I'm curious, will the digital portion of verilog-ams fit into
> gnucap's existing framework or will you need to develop a new
> kernel for the verilog-hdl part?

It fits with the existing framework.

> Or is it possible to
> integrate portions of icarus verilog for this?

That too.

The existing kernel is a mixed-mode kernel.  It already
implements the concept of a "connectmodule", but with the wrong
syntax.  It always has done this.  I think gnucap is the first
simulator ever to correctly implement the concept of
a "connectmodule".

The core will support the structural subset, interpreted, with
very limited behavioral modeling.  Full behavioral support will
need to be compiled for speed.

The model compiler generates something that eventually turns to
a ".so" file that can be used as a plug-in.  The plan is to
rework it to take Verilog-AMS as the source language instead of
the existing ".model" files.  Eventually, it should evolve to
the whole language.

There are other ways to generate model plugins, including
wrapping Spice C models.  There will be more other ways too,
probably also including Icarus Verilog eventually.  I think
ADMS works now, but have not tested it.  I also think it should
be easy to make a wrapper for XSPICE codemodels, but I am not
sure if it is worth the effort.

Current status ....
Now working on language plugins.  I tripped a few times, had to
back up and rework a few times.  I think I have the right path
now.  The Spice code (code to read and write Spice format) will
require more rework than I expected.  Spectre, Qucs, VHDL
formats should be easy after getting the system in place.  The
hard part is getting the system in place.

Not much got done in April.  I was away most of the month.