gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] gnucap development snapshot 2009-06-11

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] gnucap development snapshot 2009-06-11
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:38:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Friday 12 June 2009, Nicolás Barabino wrote:
Hello, I have a problem compiling the bsim plugins in an
intel based mac, using apple's gcc. The problem arises while
trying to use g++ whith "-shared", which is not supported by
apple's gcc. I think the solution is to use "-dynamiclib"
instead of "-shared" but i haven't found the right way yet.

Thanks in advance for your help
Regads
Nico

Sorry about the delay in responding.

I don't know the answer.  Maybe someone else can step in.  The
plan is to use "libtool" to automatically handle things like
this.  Someone is working on this, but I don't know the status.

Hi,
I'm working with Al and others to libtoolize the plug-in system as a portability solution. My testing is primarily done on powerpc-apple-darwin8. I can't name the specific flags off the top of my head, but I have developed other plug-in systems that work on the Mac using libtool (so I didn't have to think about them). So far I've started by editing the base-package's build to use libtool. Once that is satisfactorily reviewed, I will propose support for gnucap's other optional plug-in packages. Please bear with us, I generally only have spare time to work on this over the weekends. :)

There is also a question about the use of the function "dlopen"
which complies with the POSIX standard, but some systems do not
provide compliant libraries.  I don't know where the mac stands
on this.

The idea is to use libtool's libltdl API (e.g. lt_dlopenext) which provides a more consistent interface that wraps around the differences between various platforms.

Fang

David Fang
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
http://www.achronix.com/