gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] [Help-gnucap] Bizarre behaviour -- possibly a bug.

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] [Help-gnucap] Bizarre behaviour -- possibly a bug.
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 00:02:38 -0400

back from the conference ..

On Tuesday 28 May 2013, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> and tran commands a bit? in gnucap-uf, i have implemented an
> "uic"
>                                                switch for dc
> and a "cont" switch for tran. so this works:

> if you like, you can port this to upstream. lets see if it
> can be done  without breaking
> other things (i'm pretty sure). the changes to s_{dc,tran}
> can start as plugins in opt. changes to d_cap and backend
> need more thought...

You should make plugins.  That way it can be made available
immediately without waiting for a formal release or formal
testing.

"uic" is not intended to be anything realistic.  Especially, it
is not intended to gracefully start anything.  The purpose of it
is strictly to start a transient analysis when the circuit does
not have a stable operating point, by jamming in all of the
values and using them regardless of whether they make sense or
not.  It is a last resort.  These circuits may have several
metastable states.

I agree that there is a need for something more believable.  In
particular, the ability to specify something that holds it in
one of the metastable states would be useful.