gnue-announce

[Gnue-announce] New GNU Enterprise website

From: Peter Sullivan
Subject: [Gnue-announce] New GNU Enterprise website
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 19:08:23 +0100

>From http://www.gnuenterprise.org/news/news105.php:

   GNUe Enterprise are pleased to announce the launch of their new
   website, available at the same old address of
   http://www.gnuenterprise.org/

   It's just over a year since we started using phpNuke for the main
   website. Although this has made adding new content to the site (in
the
   form of news stories) much easier, it has caused some other problems:

   1) No immediate 'in your face' explanation to newcomers of what GNU
   Enterprise was/is/will be.

   2) The "community"/discussion aspects of the site never really
reached
   critical mass. Nearly all news items were initiated by project team
   members of either this or related projects, and there were very few
   comments posted.

   3) We are committed to maintaining a web presence not just on our
main
   web site, but also on the GNU/FSF web site at
   http://www.gnu.org/projects/gnue/ However, maintaining two seperate
   web sites was not time-effective.

   4) Despite offers of spare bandwidth and server space, the phpNuke
   site could not be easily mirrored, to provide load sharing and
   resiliance to fall over of the main server.

   5) phpNuke generated awkward URLs with lots of &-ey references to
   articles and other documents, which was a pain when trying to
   reference specific pages from elsewhere (especially from XML
documents
   such as GNUe Kernel Cousins!).

   6) In places where we did need to update content (e.g. the Downloads
   and Documentation sections), we tended to do it by ignoring phpNuke
   and doing simple file listings anyway.

   We would continue to recommend the free version of phpNuke (or, if
   you're starting today, probably the free fork Postnuke) for anyone
who
   needs a free software solution for a fully-dynamic, database-driven,
   news-orientated web site. We've just come to realise that we do not
   ;-)

   The new web site is intended to be a much simpler site, both for
users
   to navigate and for us to maintain and administer. At the moment,
most
   of the content is just material from the old phpNuke site (in most
   cases, updated for recent changes to the project). However, we will
be
   developing and growing the site over the next few months.

   The site is available at both http://www.gnuenterprise.org and (soon)
   at http://www.gnu.org/projects/gnue/

   Technical notes:

   The new site is written using PHP as the back-end/application on the
   www.gnuenterprise.org box. At the moment, very little PHP
   functionality (other than server-side includes) is being used,
   although this may change as the site develops. The www.gnu.org
version
   of the site will be done by mirroring the content from the main site
   on a daily basis, using wget.

   Any specific problems with the new site should be reported to the
   webmaster, <address@hidden>.