gnueval-security

Re: [gnueval-security] [Richard Stallman] evaluating an encryption progr

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [gnueval-security] [Richard Stallman] evaluating an encryption program
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:10:21 +0100

Hi!

Aside from the usual caveats (NTRU is peer-reviewed, but still rather
new and comparatively untested; there is also the probabilistic
decryption mentioned already by Stephen), and some obvious disadvantages
(huge key size, limited availability), I don't know that there is a
clear security reason for -not- using it.  However, as long as quantum
cryptoanalysis (not quantum computing with a handful of bits) is not
real, it is unclear if NTRU is actually going to be stronger than say a
good curve.  NTRU is better against a system that is hypothetical today.
 Experts I talked to said that there is a 10% chance that they are real
in 10-30 years --- and a 89% chance that they won't ever be real.

So the real question is if the GNU packages using NTRU should be trying
to prepare for the 10% chance in 10-30 years.  MOST should probably not
do this.  A few crypto libraries (libgcrypt, nettle, GnuPG) may (!) put
this on their medium-term feature list, but any "normal" package should
not touch this IMO -- they're much more likely to have security issues
elsewhere.

My 2 cents

Christian