[gnugo-devel] I built version 3.0.0 OK, but ...

From: GL7: David Elsdon
Subject: [gnugo-devel] I built version 3.0.0 OK, but ...
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 23:42:57 +0100

Hi

I followed the instructions and managed to build GnuGu 3.0.0 (and it seems to run OK with Jago) but there were a couple of glitches along the way. So I have a couple of questions.

I built GnuGu 3.0.0 in my mingw32 environment with gcc-2.95.2. The first question is what does the message from "configure":

configure:3786: WARNING: Neither vsnprintf nor glib found. Gnugo is
           compiled but it is safer to get glib at
           http://www.gtk.org/

actually mean, i.e. what is safer ?? Also what should I download from http://www.gtk.org/. I can get glib-1.2.8-1.i386.rpm, but then what do I do with a .rpm file ??

Next I run "make" and get problems with VERSION and PACKAGE not being declared. Why is this ??

I fixed the problems by editing VERSION to "3.0.0" and PACKAGE to "GnuGO".

Now "make" complains that:
        GRID_OPT should be defined as 0, 1 or 2
        `DEFAULT_LEVEL' undeclared
        `DEFAULT_MEMORY' undeclared
        `CHINESE_RULES' undeclared

I fixed all the problems with appropriate defines, but I wonder why I got the errors. Is there something wrong with my environment perhaps ??

Cheers

David