Re: [gnugo-devel] arend_1_26.3: owl speedup

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] arend_1_26.3: owl speedup
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:40:41 +0100

Arend wrote:
> So here is the reorganization of the owl callback structure that I
> mentioned already. It produces speedups of >= 15% according to my
> experiments.

Cool.

> However, I didn't like changing the matchpat interface yet (if we want
> to do that, it is not much additional work); so instead, I have set up
> a dummy callback function that does nothing but storing the matched
> patterns.

In the code, it may be a little more intuitive to call this callback
something with "collect" rather than with "dummy".

> Some complications arise from the fact that the owl_safe_move_cache now
> needs to be an array of size [owl_depth], as between e.g. the first and the
> second successful pattern check the complete owl search for the first move
> found takes place.

I think this can be simplified by including the safe_move_cache in the
local_owl_data struct.

> Because of this problem (and to make debugging easier for me), I have made
> all changes contingent of a preprocessor variable. However, this makes
> the code less clear, and if Dan and Gunnar prefer I can play preprocessor
> and change this.

In the long run we certainly don't want to maintain both code
variations, but we can leave it in until we are confident about the
new code.

/Gunnar