Re: [gnugo-devel] etiquette_1_25.1

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] etiquette_1_25.1
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:26:13 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Rafael Caetano dos Santos wrote:

> (and for white to continue in the upper left in a symmetric
> > position),
>
> ... but this one isn't, as W may choose not to play at the opposite corner
> (lower left from B?s point of view). Then if B plays at the LL corner, we
> have a different kind of fuseki (unusual but possible).

I think we agree on everything, my e-mail might have been a bit unclear
(of course GNU Go may play in LL or UL corner after B1 at Q17).

> > but its also a standard for sgf notations etc. As I have
> > been taught this quite early in Go childhood, it hurt me every time
> > GNU Go violated that convention... :)
>
> If you play a Japanese player in a tournament, violating that convention
> might have a good psychological effect. :-)
IIRC, this once happened in a Japanese title game, where Takemiya's
opponent forced him to have his san-ren-sei at Q17 - D17 - K17, to make
it look smaller or s.th. :-) I once ended up with a chinese fuseki
at D17 - L17 - R17 in a tournament game, although both me and my opponent
had followed etiquette (B R17 - W D4 - B D17 etc.). It was quite irritating
for both of us...

Arend