Re: [gnugo-devel] Current CVS crashes in golife.tst

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Current CVS crashes in golife.tst
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:33:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 address@hidden wrote:

> The current CVS version crashes in golife:2. The culprit is
> the patch evan_3_10.7.

Oops.

> The patch at the end of this message undoes evan_3_10.7.
>
> I'll leave the CVS unchanged for now in case Gunnar sees
> a trivial fix for this.
>
> Dan
>
> ***assertion failure:
> reading.c:395 - !((acode != 0) && (dcode == 5 && dpos == 0)) near PASS***

This is the assertion I added that says reading should be consistent after
we redo it.  There are two possible reasons it fails:

1) our reading is actually inconsistent sometimes
2) my patch only redoes the top level of reading, which could depend on
cached results which are inconsistent deeper, and therefore redoing it
doesn't actually fix the inconsistencies.

I find 2 more likely (based on no actual information...)

The obvious solution is to simply remove my new assertion, and just hope
the patch helps.  Unfortunately, I tried that and the crash didn't go
away.  It just moved to

***assertion failure:
optics.c:1711 - ON_BOARD1(dpos) near PASS***

So, it appears there's something more broken about the patch than is
obvious.  I'll investigate this weekend.

In the meantime, I believe reverting the patch is the correct answer
(unless someone sees anything obvious I'm missing)

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Evan Daniel