Re: [gnugo-devel] pre-rotate implemented

From: Heikki Levanto
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] pre-rotate implemented
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:02:10 +0200

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:32:39AM +0100, Dave Denholm wrote:
> Maybe building dfa's at run time is something we could do during
> opponents thinking time..? Should be plenty of time before
> the position gets interesting enough to need them.
>
> ( Unfortunately, could be hard to debug, since the bug could be
>   due to a dfa which was built dynamically, and not available
>   when reproducing.
> )

I like this idea, building dfas is something useful to do on opponent time.
Of course the practical difficulties might be great, as we don't have much
infrastructure for doing anything while waiting.

As to debugging, it should be pretty easy to store how far we have got at
each move, and rebuild the dfa accordingly.

This would make machine-machine games trickier, expecially if the opponent
is a really fast one. Also, regressions would have to start by building the
dfa's, at least once for each test set, if not for every test script -
horribly slow.

So, in real life I am not too sure if the small philosophical benefits would
be wort the costs...

Just my $0.02, anyway.

-H

--