Re: [gnugo-devel] Improved stabilisation in get_next_move_from_list

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Improved stabilisation in get_next_move_from_list
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:30:12 -0400 (EDT)

There are two possible stabilization goals for get_next_move_from_list:
Stability regards to
1) orientation
2) new pattern matches appearing or disappearing on the list.

The problem I see with your patch, Teun, is that it gives up 2) and doesn't
achieve 1). I think that 2) is more important (because it reduces owl tuning
noise); while reaching 1) would be nice, I don't think getting closer to
1) without actually reaching it is so interesting (because only then could
an orientation inconsistency be considered a bug that is worth tracking
down).

It is however very good to know that your patch reduces the number of
orientation inconsistencies.

Possible suggestions:
1. Make your patch dependent on some #define's.
2. Add the move > top_move test back as a fourth condition
3. We could just keep your patch around and use it whenever testing for
stability with regards to orientation.

Arend