Re: [gnugo-devel] more joseki preparations

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] more joseki preparations
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 22:32:21 +0200

Dan wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > The new matcher itself is written but most certainly won't work
> > for i haven't even tested it and there must be many bugs. it is
> > #if'ed and disabled for now. database creation stuff, on the
> > contrary, seems to work properly. the current size of joseki
> > corner database is 119 kB, but will probably increase by several
> > kilobytes by the time the matcher is completed. still it must be
> > much less than the size of general patterns database and the new
> > matcher must be much faster.
>
> Could you explain what your plans are for this?

currently my plans are to finish it :). it is supposed to become a
very fast pattern matcher (i hope so ;) specifically designed for
joseki database. the main intention is to use it with joseki reader
some day - an idea by Evan and Inge as far as i remember. it (the
reader, not the matcher) should be able valuate several available
joseki continuations taking into account moyo and and general
influence of distant stones - e.g. select the side on which to
block a 3-3 invasion, maybe choose between low/high shimari after
3-6 approach to hoshi (is shimari a correct term here?).

Paul