Re: [gnugo-devel] GNUGO under Windows

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GNUGO under Windows
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:41:04 +0200

Hi.

> Not being a programmer or *nixite, and hence somewhat befuddled by the
> gnugo sites I've looked at, I ask the following:
>
> 1. Does gnugo run under Windows XP?

Most likely, yes.

> 2. If so, how would I do that? By how, I mean can you provide very specific
> instructions - what to download and what to do to make it run under
> Windows. The result would be, I hope, a gui interfaced program that I can
> run like other Windows programs (for example, gnu backgammon, which I
> update regularly with no problems - I'd be hoping for some sort of setup
> like gnubg has).

If you have Visual C++ 6.0 or later, you can compile the latest releases
of GNU Go. But since you've written you are not programmer, i assume you
don't have it. Then you can download GNU Go 3.2 windows binary from

http://www.public32.com/games/go/gnugo-3.2-vc.zip

It doesn't require any installation, just unzip the file and store it
where you like. GNU Go doesn't have any graphical interface itself. You
can run it in ascii mode (in console), but we recommend using a client.
Try downloading JaGo client from

http://www.rene-grothmann.de/jago/

It contains instructions of how to run GNU Go. You can also use it to
connect internet go servers like NNGS or IGS and editing SGF files.

Paul