Re: [gnugo-devel] DFA should be "best" NFA

From: Heikki Levanto
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] DFA should be "best" NFA
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:50:04 +0100

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 10:11:04PM +0100, Gunnar Farneback wrote:
> > One simple observation: On each move we match each pattern against each
> > point on the board (well, almost). This is wasteful. If we could keep
> > persisitent state on the patterns, we could possibly save a lot.
> If I don't misremember, this is one of Tanguy's favorite ideas,
> although it's still to be implemented.

It is one that I keep speculating about every now and then, as well.

> Please don't rely on stones almost only being added to the board.
> Obviously captured stones will be removed but more importantly the
> matcher is used repeatedly in search trees

Good point. I augment my observation that the most common changes are adding
stones or undoing recently added stones. Captures are still rare(r).

I keep speculating...

-H

--
Heikki Levanto  LSD - Levanto Software Development   <address@hidden>