RE: [gnugo-devel] More on minimum values

From: Portela Fernand
Subject: RE: [gnugo-devel] More on minimum values
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:39:40 +0100

Evan wrote:

> (...) I ran a 100 game series between the unpatched and patched versions.
> The patched version won 67 to 33.

I just finished running a 4x100 match, also between an unpatched and a
patched
version (the nature of this patch doesn't matter, although it's also
something
related to move valuations, so only really measurable with twogtp matches),
and
exchanging colors at every 100 games.

Serie 1 (patch as white): W 53/47
Serie 2 (patch as black): B 60/40
Serie 3 (patch as white): B 63/37
Serie 4 (patch as black): B 53/47

I analyzed the results with statistical tools, and observed that while the
serie played with black (2 & 4) is pretty solid (rather low standard
deviation), the ones with white (1 & 3) are still too "wild". So, there's
only
one valid conclusion for me here: getting statistically valid results
without
running at least for 500 games and exchanging colors, is probably very
difficult.

I'm not saying your conclusions are wrong, they are possibly correct. I'm
only
saying that after I made this experiment, I can't be convinced by the
results
of any twogtp match run with less than the minimums I indicated above.

/nando