Re: [gnugo-devel] some tests (new patch)

From: SP LEE
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] some tests (new patch)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:29:29 -0700

> At the end of the message, is a sgf file from 3.3.16 lv 10 playing against
> itself at
> lv 12 (game 35 : lv 10 won by 133.5)
> after 187 = G12 , all gnugo versions have trouble to analyse the
> the M16 group even when they are asked precise questions
> eg = 1 L19(*owl_defend  M17*)
> which is wrong !
> The problem is fairly easy
> i have already see Gnugo solving much more complex problems.
> md.

I don't think this problem is easy enough for gnugo. This would be in the category of "big eye with a cutting point on the edge". There will be many variations inside the eye which gnugo doesn't consider much. I have also see gnugo had similar problem in one of my game posted earlier.

Of course, when I tried "owl_does_defend N19 M18", the answer was yes, too.

SP Lee

Yet this problem is easier than I thought. I added two patches. To my suprising, there are many changes in the regression tests, 8 passes and 4 fails.

./regress.sh . owl.tst
150 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . strategy.tst
36 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . viking.tst
2 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . nicklas1.tst
203 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . buzco.tst
5 unexpected FAIL: Correct 'C10|C11|E9|A4|F10', got 'A9'
./regress.sh . nngs.tst
220 unexpected FAIL: Correct 'L1|E7|G13|K9', got 'R6'
./regress.sh . trevorc.tst
240 unexpected FAIL: Correct 'K2', got 'K3'
./regress.sh . strategy3.tst
141 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . global.tst
44 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . nngs3.tst
230 unexpected FAIL: Correct '!L12', got 'L12'
./regress.sh . ninestones.tst
630 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . manyfaces1.tst
30 unexpected PASS!

After brief glance at the fails, I found that the A9 in buzco 5 seems to be a reasonable answer too, nngs 220 is certainly wrong, nngs3 230 needs further checking and trevorc 240 is something I like to discuss. I'm not sure what the good answer K2 means, but I thought even after K2 the black might live (in Ko) in the corner. Before the patch gnugo thought black was dead after K2. Now I added the defend pattern, gnugo thought the corner is alive after K2. I checked many variations. Because black has many sente moves and the white is not yet very thick, black should have chance to live.

SP Lee