Re: [gnugo-devel] connection reader speed optimization

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] connection reader speed optimization
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 02:37:22 +0200 (CEST)

Paul wrote:

> This patch speeds connection reading up noticeably.  Unlike most my
> other speed optimization patches, this one does not target a function
> (spread_connection_distances) directly, but rather the functions it
> calls in turn.

One change in this patch is that only the origin, not all stones, of a
string get added to the connection queue. Is this necessary/useful?

I found it quite convenient in uses of the connection queue (e.g. in my
escape owl patch) to have all stones explicitly in there. And already
now you have two places in the code where you need to expand the queue
element containing the origin to the complete list of stones in the
string -- does that really make the code clearer?
(Paul already noted that this also causes the bad interaction with the
break-in code at least for ego:10 -- that could be worked around,
however.)

Otherwise I like the patch.

Arend