Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo crashed

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo crashed
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:08:14 +0200

Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> Playing gnugo 3.4 on Win2K via Jago, gnugo crashed.
> Attached is the game up until the crash.
>
> [...]
>
> There is a one-move variation; that was just
> a mistake. I bumped the right mouse button
> in Jago. I am not used to Jago, so I mucked
> around for a while until I figured out how to
> get back to the main branch. This did not appear
> to cause Jago to send anything to gnugo, though;
> once I made it back to the main branch, gnugo
> seemed to play normally for a while until
> it crashed.

First of all: please don't use XML features of JaGo.  They are
poorly supported by other applications (in particular, XML is not
supported by GNU Go).  Actually, i don't see any advantage in XML
that would overweight 5 times increase in size of file.  It is
a bit more readable, but i can't read games in plain text anyway.
I had to convert the game record into SGF by hands.

If the file is loaded into GNU Go, it keeps playing just fine.
This indicates that either something is wrong with JaGo, or with
GNU Go's handling of Go Modem Protocol.  You can provide us more
information, if you start GNU Go from JaGo with an additional
option:

        -o game-record.sgf

This will create a file `game-record.sgf' with GNU Go's point of
view on the game.  If you manage to crash it with adding variations
one more time, please save the game from JaGo and mail us both
(GNU Go's and JaGo's) files.  Then we might be able to determine
what is going wrong.

Paul