Re: [gnugo-devel] Pass moves should be [tt] on SGF output

From: DervishD
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Pass moves should be [tt] on SGF output
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:50:04 +0200

    Hi Paul :)

 * Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden> dixit:
> >     I know that the FF4 SGF standard says that a pass move can be
> > specified as '[]' or '[tt]', but all SGF readers I've seen want the
> > pass moves as [tt] instead of the GnuGO style of '[]' (empty move).
> > What do you think about it?
> I disagree.  As far as I remember, SGF FF[4] urges to use `[]' when
> writing, but to be able to parse `[tt]' properly for backward
> compatibility.

    You are right :)

> And what exactly readers do you mean?  Not that I tried many, but I
> have never had any problems with SGF FF[4] way of writing passes.

    'mgt' has this problem, and if my memory serves me well,
PilotGOne (for Palm) (at least it uses [tt] for writing). Moreover,
'sgfc' has an option to rewrite all pass moves to [tt] :? So I
thought that, although the '[]' form is the modern one, applications
should use the old one when possible, given that larger-than-19
boards are very rare in Go.

> > IMHO this should be changed, as well as
> > the AP property, which the standard says that should be of the form
> > 'simpletext':'simpletext', the semicolon between the application name
> > and the version (this violates directly the standard).
> You must be using an outdated GNU Go.  `AP' was fixed quite a while
> ago.

    I'm using 3.3.14, I'll upgrade to 3.5.1 right now. Thanks for
your help :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736