[gnugo-devel] Nonjoseki

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Nonjoseki
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 05:12:22 +0200

In one of the olympiad games, olympiad2004/19x19/int-gnu.sgf, Go
Intellect played nonjoseki in three corners and while not entirely
tricked, GNU Go doesn't really convince in any of the corners.

Lower left corner:
D4 is not joseki but I suppose E5 is an acceptable response. After
black's tenuki G4 seems to mild. I would have played E2 to try to
force black into bad shape.

Upper left corner:
K17 is just too wide to be considered a pincer. I don't think D17 is
joseki but maybe it's playable. The result after C15 and tenuki does
not look good. Is there any better alternative to C15?

Upper right corner:
I don't think Q16 is joseki. White's position is fine until the tenuki
at F2. Black must not be allowed to cut at P17. After move 40 white
has a small and barely alive group with significant bad aji in the
corner. The cutting stones at P16 may be able to fight but the
position can be compared to a 5-4 joseki where white also has a stone
at Q14, so white is clearly worse off here.

Comments?

/Gunnar