[gnugo-devel] Re: [gtp] Re: resignation support in clients?

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Re: [gtp] Re: resignation support in clients?
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 01:04:46 +0200

Arend Bayer wrote: (on gtp)

Marco Scheurer wrote (on gnugo-devel):

Following Arend's request about support for resignation in clients on the GTP mailing list I just remembered that Goban has had in fact built-in support for resignation for quite some time... Is there a quick test to make GNU Go resign? I've been trying 9x9 with 9 handicap stones, and it passes after a few
moves.

Resignation is only enabled on 19x19 (on the basis that small board
games are fast enough not to get boring anyway).

OK. However, as a user, I think I would prefer to see GNU Go resign rather than pass in desesperate positions, even on small boards. The ability to resign is a big plus in the perceived value of GNU Go, IMHO. Sure, the difference between pass and resign in that case is not great, but there is no implication that the game should be counted. I understand that enabling it on smaller boards would probably require more testing.

Thanks,

marco