Re: [gnugo-devel] more top-level search results

From: Evan Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] more top-level search results
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:17:07 -0400

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:30:03 -0600 (MDT), Douglas Ridgway
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Questions:
>
> 1. With these parameters, each game takes a few hours. Am I right in
> thinking that the same tactical searches are being redone, over and over,
> so there might be substantial performance gains possible?

The GNU Go persistent caching should take care of some of this,
particularly if you use the same GNU Go process for all variations.
You might try increasing the size of the persistent caches and see if
that helps.

> 2. Are there tools for identifying substantially similar games?

When doing such runs I ignored the substantially similar games and
checked for exact duplicates by removing all non-move information from
the SGFs and then comparing MD5 sums.

Overall, the results sound interesting.  Good luck :)

Evan Daniel