Re: [gnugo-devel] platform dependency fix

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] platform dependency fix
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:11:39 +0200 (CEST)

> My suggestion to remedy this kind of problem is to make GNU Go specific
> typedefs that is controlled by what compiler/platform is used. Or use the
> int#_t or uint#_t typedefs in stdint.h. I do not know the C/C++ standard
> include files that well to know if this realy is standard and can be
> garantied to exist in most compiler enviroments.

They are only part of C99, that's why we don't use them.

> And also quite often you have to know the bit length to be sure things
> work. So I think the GNU Go project should think about how to use base
> types like char/int in the future.

We should switch most 'char' to signed or unsigned. Apart from that
everything you are suggesting is already done, as far as I can see. We
rely on int having at least 32 bit, and use SIZE_OF_LONG whenever we
need to have a precise number of bits.

Arend