Re: [gnugo-devel] address@hidden: Re: GNU go and Artificial Intelligence

From: OLE DAHL RASMUSSEN
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] address@hidden: Re: GNU go and Artificial Intelligence?]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:26:30 -0500

Dear Mr. Pogonyshev and others,

Thank you very much for very interesting and in-depth answers to my questions.

Earlier, I have been speaking with John McCarthy, professor emeritus from
Stanford University, and he told me that go sometimes is characterized as 'the
fruit fly of artificial intelligence’, thereby referring to the area of
genetics where researches have used fruit flies as a research object. There aim
here was obviously not to create the perfect fruit fly, but to contribute to
the progress in the field of genetics.

Since my article is for a popular science journal, I am hoping to make my
readers relate to the go-subject by using some real world examples on where
this kind of techniques could be applicable some time in the future. In the
fruit fly-example from before, it is of course hard to determine the exact
future usage, but it is not difficult to guess on using genetics for e.g.
curing diseases, inventing medicine, developing crops etc. etc.

If you should try to think about computer-go in the same way, what do you think
could possibly be the usage of the techniques described?

Once again, thank you very much for your contributions so far!

Regards,
Ole