[gnugo-devel] Re: [computer-go] Computer Go tournament at EGF

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Re: [computer-go] Computer Go tournament at EGF
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:07:50 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, David G Doshay wrote:

> > GNU Go's persistent caches might be used inefficiently in your setup.
> > (The purging assumes there is no undoing of several moves as
> > happens in your case after the SlugGo search for one move is finished.)
>
> We have considered that we are not taking advantage of GNU Go's
> persistent caches, but a few quick experiments did not show significant
> speed improvement from when we tried to start fresh at each look ahead
> choice. This is something we should investigate deeper. We are slowly
> learning GNU Go internals.

This won't be a big speedup, but the change is small:

1. Increase the sizes of the persistent owl caches by a factor of 10 or so.
(Increasing the size of the persistent reading cache might be
counter-productive, as all the algorithms in persistent.c are still
O(cache size).)
2. Remove the call to purge_persistent_caches from examine_position()
(or maybe add a parameter so that only the owl cache is not purged.)
3. Make sure purge_persistent_caches() is instead called at the start
of each SlugGo search.

Arend