Re: [gnugo-devel] CCs on trac.gnugo.org not functional

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] CCs on trac.gnugo.org not functional
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:54:01 +0200 (CEST)

I think we should distinguish two types of patches:

There are obvious patches, which a maintainer would commit without
waiting for discussion on the mailing list, and which don't need more
than a one line comment of explanation. For those, the procedure
described by Gunnar below is a lot faster, and I maintain that it is
also better than using patches.html (it can never happen that the link
from the Trac Changelog differs from the actually committed patch, for
example).

Gunnar wrote:
> With patches.html, only patch name in commit message:
> a) cvs commit -m "patch name"
> b) cvs update patches.html
> c) Add link, patch name, and describing text in patches.html
> d) cvs commit patches.html
>
> With trac, patch name and describing text in commit message:
> a) cvs commit -m "patch name, describing text"

Then there are patches that potentially need discussion:

> To see how these differ in functionality and work, consider for 1 the
> case that someone submits a patch to the mailing list which we want to
> list as pending.
>
> With patches.html:
> a) Wait until it has reached the archive.
> b) Locate the URL in the archive.
> c) cvs update patches.html
> d) Add the archive link and a description in patches.html
> e) cvs commit patches.html
>
> With trac, alternative 1:
> a) Wait until it has reached the archive.
> b) Locate the URL in the archive.
> c) Click on new ticket.
> d) Fill in the ticket, including link to mail archive in description.
> e) Click on submit ticket.
>
> With these use cases there's a similar amount of work but I would say
> that trac is slightly faster. There's a major difference however; with
> patches.html only the maintainers can do the work, with trac anyone
> can do it, in particular the submitter of the patch.

I would add that the ticket can be automatically referenced from the
trac log by using a cvs commit message like "patch name, #55". This
means that for applying the patch, we one just needs to do
a) cvs commit -m "..."
b) close the trac ticket

instead of, with patches.html
a) cvs commit -m "..."
b) cvs update patches.html
c) move patch from pending to applied
d) cvs commit patches.html

I am pretty happy with trac so far and share Gunnar's opinion on
patches.html.

Arend