Re: [gnugo-devel] Gifu results

From: Adrian Petrescu
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Gifu results
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:06:09 -0500

David Fotland wrote:

Many Faces won the exhibition match by 3.5 points. It was an even game against a 13 year old 1 Kyu.

Wow! That's quite impressive. In a review on the BGA site ( http://www.britgo.org/reviews/mf11rev.html ), the author (who claims to also be 1-kyu) says he is able to beat Many Faces v11, even giving it a nine-stone handicap. Is the version of MF which played the exhibition game that much stronger than version 11? Or is the 13-year old 1-kyu ten stones weaker than the BGA 1-kyu?

I don't mean to be disrespectful, I just am wondering how the same program can beat one 1-kyu and lose a 9-stone game against another.

Good job to all participants at the Gifu =)

--Adrian