[gnugo-devel] Gifu Exhibition game

From: David Fotland
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Gifu Exhibition game
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:40:17 -0800 (PST)

I didn't expect to win this game.  When they were discussiing it, they originally planned handicap game, and I asked for 3 or 4 stones.  The pro who had watched all my games said that we should play even.

There were several reasons Many Faces won.

First, I wasn't playing with version 11, but my latest experimental version.  In 40 test games, this version beat version 11 85% of the time by an average of 25 points per game, so it's about 2 stones stronger than version 11.

Second, the 13 yr old kid was playing on stage in front of an audience, with a pro giving simultaneous commentary. He was very nervous, and didn't want to make any blunders.  So he played very safe, backed away from fights, and answered almost every move in the endgame.

Third, he was a Japanese 1 kyu, not an IGS 1 kyu.  The japanese rating system is inflated compared to IGS or European ratings.  He is probably more like a 3 or 4 kyu on IGS.

The game is not very interesting, since there were no fights.  Many Faces blundered in an invasion or it would have won by more.  The invasion problem is a known evaluation bug, so I expected it to fail :(  The game is attached since people are interested.

This win does not mean that Many Faces is 1 Kyu strength.  I think it is that strong at life and death and endgame and joseki, but it's much weaker than 1 kyu in fuseki and early middle game.

David

David Fotland wrote:

> Many Faces won the exhibition match by 3.5 points. It was an even

> game against a 13 year old 1 Kyu.

Wow! That's quite impressive. In a review on the BGA site ( http://www.britgo.org/reviews/mf11rev.html ), the author (who claims to also be 1-kyu) says he is able to beat Many Faces v11, even giving it a nine-stone handicap. Is the version of MF which played the exhibition game that much stronger than version 11? Or is the 13-year old 1-kyu ten stones weaker than the BGA 1-kyu?

I don't mean to be disrespectful, I just am wondering how the same program can beat one 1-kyu and lose a 9-stone game against another.

Good job to all participants at the Gifu =)

--Adrian