[gnugo-devel] General intro

From: Gamila Macrury
Subject: [gnugo-devel] General intro
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:10:26 +1100

Hey guy's,
My name is Gamila MacRury and I'm from Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
Australia.
I am currently about to start my 4th yr of Computer Systems Eng.
I also have a friend, David Poole, who is about to start 4th yr Software sys
eng.

As part of our degree, we have to complete an 18 month project. We've decided
to focus on Go!
The original idea was to write a fantasic new Go algorithim, but honestly, we
don't have a chance!!
Our main concept was also to create a UI that could be used to bring Go to the
average person. In other words to create a greater Go community.

The three main components of this would be:
A tutorial, where the computer would play a game by itself, and would explain
what it was doing and why;
A test level to ensure the user has absorbed the information; and
Finally a game play that started easy, and as each game is won by the user, the
computer steps up a level in difficulty.
The final point is similar to what 'igowin' has done, but their game is quite
easy to beat and you see a lot of repetition in the game play.

Our main questions are, would it be ok to use GNUGo for this?

Do you think it is possible and practical, considering we have no Go
programming experience?

We have a mentor/supervisor at uni, his main knowledge areas are coding as a
whole, but he lived in Japan for a number of years and fell in love with the
game, so we might be asking a few questions if that would be ok?

Well I hope to hear from u soon, can understand the whole chirstmas issue!

Ciao Gamila